Video Rendering Experiment

Announcements about new releases

Moderator: noisy

Re: Video Rendering Experiment

Postby mjahn » 05 Mar 2010, 10:46

Hi, new here, first post etc.

Wow, that YouTube clip looks excellent. For a fullsize taste, would it be possible to upload a much shortened HD version, say 10 secs, I wonder?

I received notification of this project via a thread on the SimOuthouse FSX forum:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?32526-Best-Video-Capture-program-for-FSX

On that page my reply sketches the use of VirtualDub for downsizing and resizing avi files, a procedure which might have an advantage over wmv. Perhaps an option here, too? How do you "grab" the individual frames, Matthias?

Best,
Manfred
mjahn

Postby noisy » 07 Mar 2010, 09:52

mjahn wrote:Wow, that YouTube clip looks excellent. For a fullsize taste, would it be possible to upload a much shortened HD version, say 10 secs, I wonder?

Did you see the download link for the original file? Or is it just too large for you to download?

On that page my reply sketches the use of VirtualDub for downsizing and resizing avi files, a procedure which might have an advantage over wmv. Perhaps an option here, too?

AVI would be possible as well, will decide at a later point, if I add it.

How do you "grab" the individual frames, Matthias?

Currently I use GDI to copy the FS main window to a memory bitmap. I might have a look at other methods later, depending on how it performs on different systems.
Matthias Neusinger
Author of FS Recorder
noisy
Site Admin

Postby mjahn » 07 Mar 2010, 14:26

Thanks Matthias,

Yes, the HD file is a bit too long for my slowpoke network connection. Never mind, the YouTube clip is good enough to impress the most hardened sceptic.

Haven't heard of GDI, but many video people, professionals included, use FRAPS. Of course FRAPS is payware but has good customer support, updating regularly with no additional cost. Apart from capturing games to lossless avi they also have a screenshots option doing bmp, png, jpeg, and tga, which you can set to capture @ 1 pic per second. Don't know whether that could be relevant for you project or not ... But seeing the extraordinary promise of your idea, it may be worth while contacting them and ask whether they'd be interested in making their movie mode interface with this new FSR mode?

Just an idea ...

Manfred
mjahn

Postby noisy » 07 Mar 2010, 14:52

Manfred,

GDI is not an application, it's part of Windows (graphics device interface). There is no other application involved in the FS Recorder video rendering, the screen grabbing and encoding is done by FS Recorder itself (currently using GDI to grab the screen and Windows Media SDK to encode as WMV). It won't work together with an external application like Fraps, as these capture frames in fixed time intervals, while in that 'rendering' mode capturing has to be done once a frame is drawn by FS.
Matthias Neusinger
Author of FS Recorder
noisy
Site Admin

Postby mjahn » 07 Mar 2010, 15:02

Okay! Exciting stuff this. If you need a beta tester, I'll be happy to try it out. Keep us posted. I'm on a new FSX model myself ATM (freeware). Would love to show it in this format.

Manfred
mjahn

Postby bojote » 10 Mar 2010, 04:04

Hi Matthias,

I think its a great idea! I also like to capture 'real videos' of my sessions. Here's one example (it was captured using an external PVR)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxbCejxtpD0&hd=1
bojote

Postby Cougar FFW04 » 22 Mar 2010, 08:03

Hi Matthias,

I watched at the "youtube" video and the combination of High resolution/fluidity is obsolutly outstanding :shock: It allows to see very subtle effects never seen before in a FS video. That's really great =D> =D> =D> Congratulation.

Don't you think it would be a good time to integrate the record/playback perspective/view feature we already discussed (see viewtopic.php?t=22). It would be the ideal companion of your new rendering technique for making FS video. 8) 8)

I looked at the first info on version 2.1 but didn't see it :cry: :oops:
Do you still consider this feature for next release ? [-o< :mrgreen:

Thanks again :wink:
Cougar FFW04

Postby noisy » 22 Mar 2010, 12:57

Cougar FFW04 wrote:Don't you think it would be a good time to integrate the record/playback perspective/view feature we already discussed (see viewtopic.php?t=22). It would be the ideal companion of your new rendering technique for making FS video. 8) 8)

I agree that this would be especially useful for the video rendering feature, and it's still on my list. It is however not that easy to add as you might think, it requires recording a lot of camera parameters, so I have to carefully think about how to store them in the FRC files. Also I first have to find a way to automatically change the active camera in FSX on playback.

I looked at the first info on version 2.1 but didn't see it :cry: :oops:
Do you still consider this feature for next release ? [-o< :mrgreen:

Most probably it won't make it into v2.1, but will come together with the video rendering in v2.2. Keep in mind, that the video rendering currently is just an experiment and will have to be tested on various systems first. To do that I'll probably release an unfinished 2.2 alpha version when v2.1 is finished.
Matthias Neusinger
Author of FS Recorder
noisy
Site Admin

Postby Cougar FFW04 » 22 Mar 2010, 15:07

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for your prompt reply :D

I agree that this would be especially useful for the video rendering feature, and it's still on my list. It is however not that easy to add as you might think, it requires recording a lot of camera parameters, so I have to carefully think about how to store them in the FRC files. Also I first have to find a way to automatically change the active camera in FSX on playback.

Anyway how difficilt it is, according to what you have done and the difficulties you have certainly already overcome with the present version of FS Recorder, I have no doubt that you will solve these problems as you already did =D> :mrgreen:

Most probably it won't make it into v2.1, but will come together with the video rendering in v2.2. Keep in mind, that the video rendering currently is just an experiment and will have to be tested on various systems first. To do that I'll probably release an unfinished 2.2 alpha version when v2.1 is finished.

I am happy with that :wink: BTW If you look for beta-tester, especially for such a feature, do not hesitate to contact me, it will be my pleasure.

Thanks again for this great FS tool 8) :wink:
Cougar FFW04

Previous

Return to Announcements